Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Changes, changes and more changes.

I have so much to say, and so much I need to write and get out of my head and into this blog, but it won't all happen tonight. Once again, my story of the past few years is interrupted by the now. I guess, I should just have two blogs so I don't confuse people who don't actually know what is in the present and what is in the past. Although... it will all be the past soon enough.

As I may have mentioned, I had trouble finding a job in Whitecourt. I hadn't quite reached the point in the story about why I quit my job as Account Executive at the radio station. Basically, I was trying to fight my depression, and I knew the job wasn't making me happy. At all. My grandfather had died in November, and people kept talking about the passion he had for farming, and how he did what he loved. I knew then, I was lacking the passion, and the love for my job. So about five months later, my boss and I spoke, and I quit.

That left me without a job. I thought it would be easy to find a job because of my experience (in jobs and life) and my education. I was wrong. I felt like every time I went to an interview, my hopes would go up, and then... I'd be kicked back down. It may have been one of the lowest points of my life. I finally got a job at a liquor store. I worked with great people. However, I had a degree, while two of my co workers didn't have a high school diploma. The other two only had their high school. I'm not judging at all. I enjoyed working with all of them, I just felt horrible that I'd worked so hard to get all that I had, and was working at a liquor store. A liquor store that somehow managed to bring me down. I felt no appreciation or faith that I could do a good job, even though I was doing a fine job. I quickly jumped at an opportunity elsewhere -although not as soon as I would have liked.

I was interning and opping at the radio station as a second job (the interning was a free second job). I didn't have it in me to leave the station. I love radio.

I was hired at a hotel a block from my house as a front desk night auditor. It was a pretty easy job. Lots to remember, but very relaxing. In fact, I had probably blogged from a night shift more than once. I enjoyed the people I worked with, but even more, I enjoyed the faith and trust my manager had in me. It felt good to once again have people see me for the hard worker I am. (I'll admit, I'm not always a hard worker, but I'm efficient and organized, and would never slack when work needed to be done.) This job kept me close to home, close to Cameron and Karmen (my dog) and Rolo (my cat), and I was making much more than I had been at the liquor store. I could have made it work, even though, in my heart, I knew I wanted more.

One day, I received a text from a co-worker at the radio station. He told me about a job opening in Saskatoon as a Creative Writer at a Saskatoon Radio company. Saskatoon is where both Cameron and I have talked about ending up, so I thought, why not? I applied, not really expecting anything to come of it (but hoping). Cameron supported my decision. (he is a supporter of me). A few days later, I received an email back asking for an interview. (A phone interview). So I arranged a time, came home from a night shift, slept for four hours, and then woke up in time for the interview. I even dressed up for it.

She had already spoken to one of my references, and somebody who wasn't a reference, but gave me one anyway when she found out I was applying for the job. (She's in the Saskatoon Creative Writing community). They both gave me really good references. The interview -was so much like the interviews I was used to... the kind where I got the job. I had it by the end of the call (possibly before the call).

So... I'm writing this from Saskatoon. I've been living here since July (It's almost the end of August). I basically left everything to come here. Cameron is planning to get a job that flies him in and out, and then planned to buy a house in Saskatoon.

I'm done for the night. I plan to write tomorrow, and if I do, I'll write about coming to Saskatoon. The good, the bad, and the changes. Because once again, my life has gone from me knowing what was going to happen next, to having NO CLUE what will happen next. Maybe I needed this feeling -but the problem with liking that is the need to not stay in the same place for too long (or the same city).

Anyway. Until the next time.

No comments: